Saturday, November 13, 2010

Weekly Wrap-up & Next Week's Challenge - Gluten Free Breakfast Ideas



I spent this week doing Meghan Telpner's Low GI diet plan. Feeling pretty good - except that I had a friend's hens night last night so I've probably undone everything with all the drinking. When I weighed myself of Friday I was 0.5kg lighter and I had lost just over 1% body fat! Which was great.

My body fat percentage 3 weeks ago was close to 40%!! So my main concern is getting that number significantly lower. I highly recommend Meghan's Low Glycemic Eating Challenge. There is a lot of prep work but if you're happy to spend a Sunday afternoon pottering in the kitchen you will be sorted for the rest of the week.

The only thing I found quite difficult was doing morning and afternoon snacks. a) Because I always felt full (which is great) and b) because I find it difficult to co-ordinate those snacks at work. But the food was fantastic!

My absolute favourites where the almond and sunflower cereal, sweet potato and broccoli soup and the non-bread bread.

Doing this challenge has got me to thinking about the importance of a really good breakfast. I was feeling amazingly stable at 3pm, when I can normally be struggling to keep my eyes open!! And I credit this to a really good breakfast and lunch with well prepared proteins and leafy greens, rather than being laden with heavy, hypnotic carbs.

And on Thursday I had toast for breakfast (because I forgot to bring my brekkie in) and fell into a thyroidy low - I have been reading that people with thyroid conditions should treat their diets as if they were gluten intolerant because the gluten intolerance may actually be part of the process that triggers an underlying autoimmune disease.

So my challenge this week is to:

Have 7 days of gluten free, delicious breakfasts.

And to see if this gets my day off to a good start and whether avoiding my usual Vegemite on toast every day can help me loose a little bit more weight!

My first idea that I would like to try is a bit of a hybrid between Meghan's Almond & Sunflower Cereal and a Quinoa Porridge - I'll document that tomorrow morning and get the recipe up online once I've tested it!  I have also bought ingredients for some yummy smoothies just to change things up a bit from day to day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment