Thursday, November 4, 2010

Cheers! to new and healthier habits!


I have gone for 5 days with out alcohol now and I'm feeling fantastic. Rather than it being a 'count down' to when I can drink again, I feel like it has become more of a little competition with myself.

How long can you go without alcohol now?
 
Also, going with out alcohol has given me room to come up with a new evening ritual. Brewing a pot of herbal tea. I actually get great joy sitting with my pretty glass tea pot and a mug - watching the tea swirl around and brew.

Over the weekend I want to try creating a pot of ice tea to leave in the fridge and drink during the week - from what I have Googled you should only leave iced tea in the fridge for up to 2 days..

Two things I have to be mindful of would be caffeine so close to bed time and also Michaela Ballmann from Nutritionally Speaking did a podcast about Green Tea in which she talks about the benefits of the tea but also the adverse effects when you drink too much, including liver failure, arthritis and stomach pain. Especially if you drink it on an empty stomach. So no more than 5 cups a day!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to going to T2 to pick up some yummy new combinations!

So for my first iced tea experiment I am going to try this recipe over the weekend - I found this recipe on West of Persia and I think it sounds just divine!

Persian Iced Tea

Made with rose water ice cubes, cardamom-spiked simple syrup or agave nectar, and quick brew black tea, this Persian inspired iced tea has an exotic flare and refreshing taste:

Ingredients:

  • 180mL rose water
  • Black tea 
  • 6 cups of filtered water, plus more for ice cubes
  • 2 Tablespoons agave nectar (or simple syrup–linkage to directions below)
  • 2 teaspoons powdered cardamom (or 4-6 pods of green cardamom)
  • Fresh mint leaves for garnish (optional)

Directions:

1. Make the rose water ice cubes. Pour 180mL of rosewater into an ice tray and top off with more filtered water to make perfect cubes. Pop into freezer overnight, or until frozen solid.

2.  Brew the tea in the 6 cups of water until is the perfect dark amber hue.

3.  Make the agave-cardamom syrup by warming agave over low heat. Or, if you don’t have agave, follow these directions for a classic simple syrup that we can then infuse with cardamom.

4. Add the cardamom powder or pods to the syrup, and stir well to allow its flavor to infuse. Remember, LOW heat here is your friend. It only takes a few seconds for the infusion to happen, so taste test the syrup, make sure you can taste the cardamom, and then remove it from the heat immediately.

5. Add the syrup, a little at a time,  to the brewed tea, and stir generously.  (Taste as you go here–everyone likes their tea sweetened a little differently, or not at all. For that matter, you could put the syrup on the side and let everyone use the amount they want in their individual tea glasses).

6. To serve, pour tea over rosewater ice cubes that you’ve placed into a tall glass. As the rose water cubes melt, their flavor will infuse into the tea. Garnish with fresh mint, if desired.


0 comments:

Post a Comment