Monday, November 1, 2010

Effects of Alcohol on the Body

This information is what I have gathered from various government and health websites - I'm not a professional and I am doing this exploration for my own education in the hopes to gain better control over my own drinking habits. If you have any concerns about your own health due to alcohol consumption you should consult your doctor.



I think one of the keys to bringing my alcohol consumption under control is to understand what alcohol is and how it is processed in my body and also what the long-term effects could be when I am drinking beyond the recommended 1-2 standard drinks (100ml for a glass of wine is 1 standard drink).

From what I have read, unlike carbohydrates, proteins and fats, alcohol cannot be stored in the body therefore in the body needs to metabolise this before anything else, interrupting other processes that may be also occurring in the digestive system.

Nutritional deficiencies can go hand in hand with mass alcohol consumption due to damage in the liver and because, as mentioned above, it takes precedence over other digestive processes. Even moderate alcohol consumption can effect Vitamin B12 which is needed to help make DNA and to maintain healthy nerve cells and red blood cells. Am I'm guessing this is could also cause depression and anxiety during and after drinking?

Folate, Vitamin A and Calcium are also heavily effected by excessive drinking.

Alcohol has also been linked with a range of diseases such as:

  • Cardiovascular system – raised blood pressure and triglycerides (especially after binge drinking), damage to the heart muscle and stroke.
  • Nervous system – brain damage, tremors, dementia and nerve damage. Alcohol is a depressant drug and affects your coordination, self-control, judgement and reaction times. 
  • Mental health - there is growing evidence that alcohol increases the risk of prevalent mental health conditions such as depression and anxiety.
  • Gastrointestinal system – stomach inflammation (gastritis) and bleeding.
  • Liver – cancer, hepatitis (inflammation), fatty changes, cirrhosis and liver failure.
  • Endocrine system – problems controlling blood sugar, loss of libido and reduced fertility.
  • Nutrition – malnutrition (alcohol displaces nutrients from your body) and obesity.
  • Breast cancer and other gynaecological problems – women who drink alcohol are at a higher risk than non-drinking women.
Pretty scary, as I can see a number of these things that could already be effecting me at the rate at which I consume alcohol. Blood sugar, over-weight, depression and there is an existing strong history of breast cancer in my family too.

Its not all doom and gloom here, there are plenty of studies saying that low levels of alcohol consumption have some health benefits in certain age groups. The NHMRC Australian Guidelines to Reduce Health Risks from Drinking Alcohol have said that controlled drinking reduces the risk of some cardio/cerebrovascular disorders (particularly in middle aged men) and ischaemic stroke (in women after menopause).

But please note: These potential benefits from alcohol can also definitely be gained by other means, such as regular exercise and a wholefoods diet!

The questions that I have to ask myself very honestly are:

Can I control my alcohol intake?
Can I stick to 2 x 100mL glasses per day?

At the moment, the answer from my heart is a very open and honest:

No.

It has now been 2 days without alcohol - it hasn't been too bad, although it definitely has been in the past. I have been meaning to do this for a long time, have had a few failed attempts and have come to realise in the last few weeks that I was no longer drinking for enjoyment or taste - but simply just for the effects of the alcohol.

I want to be able to enjoy alcohol as a little indulgence, not rely on it to get through my working week.

I feel quite empowered today and proud of myself for not being tempted by the Monday I-Need-A-Glass-Of-Wine Blues. Tomorrow will be interesting because it is Melbourne cup which is always accompanied by mass-drinking, but strangely enough I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything nor do I feel remotely like drinking! :)

I have been drinking a lot of mineral water with mint to compensate! And that's probably not create either because of the sodium, so tomorrow I will do a bit of research into some alternative, relaxing, nutritious evening drinks.

Thanks to anyone out there reading this, you're helping me do this.
If you have any comments or experiences that you would like to share please feel free!



References that I looked at:

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this post Kimberley. A few weeks ago I started seeing a new Kinesiologist/Naturopath/Natural Healer and we discussed my alcohol consumption which at difficult times can become a daily occurrence.

    After my treatment with her, and in combination with some new herbal medicines and vitamins I found it incredibly easy to stop drinking during the week... and then on the weekend I had very little desire to drink at all. The herbal medicine is designed to activate my liver, and it seems to have helped with alcohol and sugar cravings too. The bonus effects of not drinking, such as stable mood and increased motivation are also delightful.

    So cheers to you! *raises mineral water in expensive Champagne flute*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your lovely words and for being the second person to leave a comment on my blog! Hooray!

    I'd be really interested to hear more about the herbal medicines that she recommended?

    I totally agree about the mood stability, I find myself laughing a lot more even after 5 days of not drinking, and I'm also catching myself quite quickly now when I start getting annoyed or aggravated.

    Cheers indeed!

    ReplyDelete