Saturday, November 20, 2010

Spooky Turn of Events

Photography by Gabriela Camerotti


Wow! Sunday again, the weeks are flying by and soon it will be Christmas! I can't believe it.

Had kind of an up and down day today. Was woken at 4am by our blender starting up on its own!! Freaky! I thought the fridge or something in the kitchen was about to explode!!

So I slept pretty badly after that and quite weirdly, the shock of the noise conjured up all these strange anxieties, like I need to earn more money - how are we going to save for this wedding? I'm not loosing weight fast enough. I didn't go to the gym once this week - I am a total failure. Was the new hand blender I bought that day missing a part? How was I going to deal with them to get the part! Oh! the stress! I think my heart was racing for about 4 hours.

Really need to work on finding the lighter side of life, learn how to calm myself and take control of my anxieties. Tough gig. So thank you, Blender, for frightening me so. It has helped me create this week's new challenge.

Taking control of things and doing it with a smile.

This goes hand in hand with the book I'm reading at the moment, "Excuse Me, Your Life is Waiting" by Lynn Grabhorn. It sounds like your typical, awful self-help book (and it kind of is a self-help book...) but its so light hearted and warm, even my deeply cynical side is loving it to bits. And even if I can implement just one or two things from this book I'll be a much happier person for it.

One thing I always find myself doing is holding on to the past (and not positive happy things) but all the things I didn't do. And these anxieties constantly spring out of thin air, brought on by some catalyst (like the Possessed Blender Demon) and it ruins me for hours, sometimes days.

This week I want to focus on taking responsibility for the little things I can do each day that will help alleviate the 'regrets of the future', the factors that I do have control over, right now, and letting go of those I don't or that live in the past. I love this quote from the book:

The real reality is we have come here to thrive, and prosper, and live this grand human experience in lighthearted joy, not struggle and pain. We have come here to have fun while we learn, to grow without suffering, and to harvest our desires in the absolute knowledge that we can have it all once we learn how to handle our energies... meaning... our emotions.

This idea ties back in with something I read on Wellness Warrior a little while ago about integrating daily habits that make you feel good so here goes my list of daily habits and promises to myself that I want to tick off each and every day this week:

  • Weekdays - get up 5.30am prepare a nutritious breakfast and go to the gym for pilates or yoga.
  • Get out of the office at lunch time for a 10 minute walk - get some vitamin D and to remind myself that there is a world outside and that I am a part of it!
  • Spend at least half an hour a day reading (aside from my study) to broaden my general knowledge.
  • Catch the bus half way home and walk the rest of the way (try 'walking meditation')
  • 2-3 hours study Tuesday and Thursday nights
  • To prepare delicious, nutritious meals each day and to make up a healthy dessert as a treat at least twice a week.
  • To blog and journal my experiences at least every second day.
  • Spend some time each day to focus, visualise and feel myself achieving my goals and dreams - probably whilst walking.
  • To pamper myself with a bath, foot treatment before bed, home facial as often as possible! Maybe even try to do one little indulgence everyday? 
  • Get to bed early.
Ambitious. Yes. But I think these are all good things - not chores - and therefore should be achievable and every day I achieve all those little things that are important to me the less I think I will have to regret or to brood about in the future. Its just about learning to take the time and care I guess?

Okay, I'm off to enjoy the last bit of sun for the day with my fiance and housemates!

0 comments:

Post a Comment