Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Recipe: Salmon, Pea Puree and Brocolli with Arame Salad



Thought I'd just share this delicious meal recipe with you. Had made up a rather large batch of pea puree during Meghan's Low Glycemic Challenge week (I feel like I mention her in every blog I do, but she's really a huge source of inspiration at the moment), which I had frozen.

And I also just bought 'Ripe from Around Here' by Jae Steele which had tonnes of fantastic vegan recipes, not that I am vegan, but I find it is a fantastic way to bump up my consumption of veggies.

So this recipe is a bit of a concoction of a few things but it was so damn tasty! (If I do say so myself!)

Sesame, Broccoli and Arame Salad
Ingredients
1 head of Broccoli
1/4 cup of Arame (a seaweed and rich source of iron, calcium, zinc and iodine)
2 tbsp of Tamari
2 tbsp of Sesame Oil (this might be a little rich - I think I might drop it back to 1 tbsp next time)
1/4 tsp of Dulse Flakes
1 clove of Garlic
Pepper

Method:
  • Put the arame in a bowl and cover with room temperature water until the seaweed is rehydrated.
  • Steam the broccoli for 2-4minutes in a steamer.
  • Strain the arame - save the water and either use it for stock or put it in the garden!
  • Mix together the tamari, sesame oil, dulse flakes and garlic.
  • I made this a cold salad but you could just as well have it hot - simply toss the broccoli and arame in the dressing and sprinkle sesame seeds to serve.
  • NB. This recipe makes enough for four people - I had the left overs today for lunch with some brown rice.

Salmon and Pea Puree:
 
Ingredients
2 x 200g salmon fillets
1 x Leek
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Bag of Frozen Peas
1 bunch of fresh mint
Salt and Pepper to taste 

Method
  • Sautee the leek in the olive oil in a pan until they soften
  • Add the bag of frozen peas and cover with boiling water
  • Let this simmer away until the peas are nice and easily mushed
  • Depending on your blender you might need to let this cool
  • Put the peas, leeks and mint into a blender and whir away until silky smooth
  • Add Salt and Pepper to taste
  • With the Salmon I drizzle some olive oil on the skin and rub this in, then sprinkle with a little salt and pepper
  • Get a fry pan nice and hot (no need to add any more oil)
  • Place the salmon skin side down and let it sizzle away for a good 3-5 minutes (depending on the thickness of your salmon.
  • Here you can either turn the heat down and turn the salmon over until it cooks most of the way through, or transfer it to a low oven to cook gently - I find using the oven insures a more even heat and helps avoid a really raw middle.
Put everything on a plate and enjoy!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment