Thursday, October 14, 2010

Successful Goal Setting One Week at a Time.

Okay, so I've been a little quiet the last couple of weeks. I really thought that with the changing of daylight savings it would be the perfect timing to kick start a whole bunch of exercise and "healthy-living" realated goals.

But in the week that followed my diet was okay, but it was nearing the end of the pay cycle so we were a bit impoverished which meant digging up as much from the pantry as possible. (It did prove to make some creative meal planning) but also meant I couldn't get fresh and quality product that had been a part of those goals.

I also was severely hit by the fact that it was no longer light at 5.45am and being tucked up in a warm bed next to my warm fiance was just too good to pass up!

One day I missed the gym, and then one night we ordered a pizza and then I missed another day of the gym... I became more and more annoyed at myself... and then I came across Michaela Ballmann and her podcasts 'Nutritionally Speaking'. In one of the podcasts she was talking about New Year's Resolutions and how if goals are too uncontrollable and too vast then of course you can't achieve them and of course you're going to feel down on yourself. It's a downward spiral.

So from this new knowledge, I have decided to do a bit of an experiment and set a weekly goal for myself. My long term goal is still make an entire lifestyle change so I can be happier and healthier. But instead of trying to do everything at once, like I always do, "This week I will not drink alcohol, and drink juice every morning and exercise 6 days a week!!" I will do things more gradually.

No wonder it never seems to work, even if I could change every bad habit that I have all at once I would probably be a complete wreck and would definitely not enjoy it at all.

So instead, I will set myself one weekly task. Which I will endeavor to make my priority, just for those 7 days with no 'forever's and it will be interesting to see if, after those 7 days, I can start to incorporate one new thing at a time into my daily routine. Baby steps!

Where to start? Well, next week I'm off to Bali. So I think the easiest goal to set is to:

Do something active everyday.

I don't leave until Thursday so I can get my usual gym routines in early in the week. But then I want to seek out a daily activity in Bali (so I don't turn into a complete sloth on my holiday!).

I'll track the progress and how I am feeling.

I can't wait to think of fun things to challenge myself with every week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment