Saturday, September 25, 2010

The first post.

So this is my first post in this blog. I'll start out by saying I have had an interesting 12 months. Last year I had a bit of a breakdown thinking that my life was stagnating and nothing I was doing seemed to be going anywhere. This year I have become engaged, got a new job, moved into a new house and now it seems I'm going into the biggest shift possible. 

A whole new career.

I am a Graphic Designer. I kind of fell into this career. I never imagined that I would be doing this and as result I have felt that for the last 6 years I was just being swept through life by a fast current - with no control over anything.

In the last few months I have come to the conclusion that maybe this isn't the right path for me. Sitting in front of a computer from 8-9 hours everyday leaves me feeling restless, frustrated and anxious.

I have always had a love/hate relationship with food. I have always been "plump" and predisposed to being overweight. In the last couple of years I was diagnosed with the initial signs of Hashimoto's disorder - or under active thyroidism. I have been taking Thyroxin to supplement and support but I know that there has to be a more wholistic way to give it a helping hand.

My mother also has Hashimoto's but since having breast cancer in 1999 it completely destroyed itself and now she doesn't have a functioning thyroid at all. She is an inspiration and has more energy than anyone I know! So I know that I can also overcome this problem and hopefully have a happy, healthy thyroid for the rest of my life.

Another element that has sparked this life change is that when I reflect back on my week at work, what have I achieved during the week? I've got artwork for beer cartons in on deadline... I've made a few posters.... I often wonder how will I feel when I look back on my life... who have I helped? What have I done to make a difference. 

Now, I'm not wanting or meaning to bag out the design industry here. It can be an amazing career full of inspiration and happiness. I have simply had a serious heart to heart with myself over the last few months and decided its simply not satisfying for me.

So I have made the leap and enrolled in an Advanced Diploma of Nutritional Medicine. I start doing the course via Distance Learning on October 18. And in this blog I hope to use myself as a bit of a test subject to effectively learn about nutrition and change my life. So I hope anyone that reads this finds some help or healthy inspiration.

0 comments:

Post a Comment